Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Family in Korea Day 4: Daejeon University / King's Meal

Campus Tour / Hanjeongsik
Monday, April 9, 2012.


Back in Daejeon. Back to my home. This is where I lived for most of my stay and one of the five big cities in Korea.  Now why are we here? I had class the entire day of Monday and my family wants to visit my school as well.  After all, the reason why they went to Korea is to see me and my life here rather than go around the country.  Sightseeing just comes to the second spot.


As I mentioned, I have 3 classes for the day: 
Korean Class: 9am -11:30am
Comparative Analysis of ASEAN Economics: 12:30pm - 3:00pm
Research Class: 3:30pm - 6:00pm


At Student Union's Cafeteria
I had full monday schedule so I cannot tour them around the city during the day.  What did we do? In the morning, they just rested and charged themselves after 3days of walking and walking and walking. haha. Then we ate lunch together at our cafeteria (at least the best cafeteria in school).  I ordered all of our meals, Bibimbap (비빔밥), Fried Rice (뽁음밥), Kimchi Stew (김치 찌개) and Ramyeon (라면). Why Ramyeon? It's for my sisters. haha!  They liked the food with one old and the same complain. "It's very spicy" What else can I do? I can't do anything but for them to eat it. Anyway, it's just during this trip! haha. When they go back to the Philippines, they will eat our delicious filipino food again :)



In the afternoon, I don't really know what they did because I was in class. haha. But I think they just went around the campus from the photos they had. And here, I will show some of my school's beautiful post-winter and pre-spring scenery. 
Daejeon University Main Entrance ;]

Jisan Memorial Library, one of the best libraries in town

Jisan Library Area
30th Anniversary Building
Student Union Building area
South Gate
Why post-winter and pre-spring scenery? My family arrived a week before the full-bloom cherry blossom in the campus so they were not able to see the cherry blossom in campus.  According to schedule, it should bloom when they arrive in Daejeon but due to a delayed snow in the city, the cherry-blossom blooming schedule was also delayed for a week.  They were in school on a Monday, April 8, and the full bloom was exactly a week after on April 15, also a Monday. hahaha!


After my class, and I actually finished an hour earlier than schedule, we directly went to Seodaejeon Station for the scheduled King's Meal dinner with my Korean buddy via the bus 612.  But before we went to restaurant, we got a feel of Daejeon downtown first, saw people campaigning for the upcoming elections, and took some photos around.
Seodaejeon Grounds
Daejeon Downtown
By the way, I asked my Korean buddy to book the restaurant for us.  Yes, I don't need to try my luck to another Korean conversation. The restaurant is quite expensive at 17,000W (approx 17USD) per person but it was all worth it. Everyone was full and enjoyed the meal. After all, they could say that they have tried eating what the King's of Korea eat before.  Hanjeongsik (한겅식) is a full course meal from the pumpkin soup appetizer to 3-round course meal and a dessert. Really a big meal.  


Restaurant Name: Yejiwon Hanjeongsik (예지원한정식)
Address:  1-184, Munhwa-dong, Jung-gu, Daejeon (대전 중구 문화동 1-184)
Contact Details: 042-222-3522
         


Before the Hanjeongsik Meal
1st main course served
My sisters and buddy
L-R: ME, Ara, Grace and Aya

My buddy gave a small token to my parents or should I say "remembrance" from Korea.  
Thank you very much 최수영 (Grace)!

After this, we went back home, rest and sleep after another gastronomic meal.  


2 comments:

  1. Hi, I stumbled upon your blog through engineer Jerry Maño. We are working in the same company. By the way, i am also a travel blogger. Would you mind to link exchange? Here is mine http://www.devianttraveler.com/

    I wanna go to Korea also next year. Cross finger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Albert! Oh yes, I showed them around in Korea. I wish I can continue writing blogs. I'm very busy now and I have a pending backpacking trip that I want to write but not enough time. I'm sure you will be able to go to Korea soon ;]

      Delete

LINKWITHIN

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...