Monday, June 4, 2012

Ski Experience: 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics

Iizuna Ski Kogen Resort
"Ski the Heart of Japan"
January 6, 2012.

It was my 2nd to the last day in Japan but there were still a lot excitement and memories to paint. I was slated to a whole new experience: SKIING!

We went skiing at Iizuna Ski Kogen Resort, one of the Ski resorts used during the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan. By the way, Nagano was the south most city that hosted Winter Olympics.
Iizuna Ski Kogen Resort: Used during the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics
I woke up so early to prepare for this unique day. We loaded all the ski clothes in the car and the ski gears available at home. We just rented ski gears for Mai, Haruto and me because Mama Masami has her own.

My clothes? I wore thermal clothes and 2 very warm jackets, thermal underwear and pants, 2 thick gloves, Mickey mouse bonnet that i bought in Tokyo Disneyland to protect myself with the freezing -15 temperature. take note, this is on top of the Ski jumper clothes that we wore. But.. It was still very very very very coooold.

We ate lunch around 11:00am and off to the resort. But before Going to the resort, we detoured in Nagano Red Cross hospital for a while to give 'courtesy call' to my foster father.

Way to Iizuna Ski Park. It was an hour ride from the city area to the resort and the view was really beautiful.
View of Iizuna Ski Resort from the City
The Trip
Mountains
White ground
Iizuna Ski Park Entrance. It's all white!
Iizuna Ski Resort Car Park
Tractors used to scraped snow
The Ski gears rental area. They have all the gears you need.  You can just visit here if you want to experience Skiing without bringing anything. Just make sure to cover yourself with warm clothes very well. It's really cold!
Ski Rental Shop
My Trainer. haha! :)
We played for 3hours. But actually, it was all practice! Going up the slope manually for 10minutes and just ski down in less than 30seconds. Hahaha!
Overviewing the slope
It's all white
With Mai Kawamura
She's very good in skiing
Where's Haruto?
Having fun!
But before we went home, I had final Ski ride when we went up the mountain for the biggest slope. Ofcourse, we just went up the smallest mountain. LOL! I mentioned earlier that I practiced for 3hours but still cannot do it very well.  Honestly, it was still very difficult. The kids were so fast while I was having a hard time just going down.  I stumbled many times.
Going up the lift
Mesmerized by the scenery
A Snapshot before the Ski Exam
View from the Iizuna Mountain
I didn't expect skiing to be that difficult because I know how to play roller skates, roller blades and ice skating. And I'm a fast learner. But Skiing is totally different! I stumble more than 5times, but was able to stand up 6times! Naks! When I go straight, I moved like crazy and I don't know how to control the speed so I just intentionally fall myself down rather than die in the end.

Stumble 1
Stumble 2
Stumble 3
Stumble 4
After my long ski experience from the mountain down to the foot, I already surrendered. My feet and ankle were really painful. I admit. I'm not good at skiing but at least I tried. But if given the chance, I'm willing to have formal lessons to learn this sport.
Getting some rest
Finish!
Final photo
Then we went to McDonalds to have some snack first after this tiring day. Take note, we had early lunch so we were hungry already! I ate BigMac and Large Fries :O

View of the City
McDonald's in Nagano City
BigMac
We went home around 6:00pm to get some rest for my flight the following day (but actually, my foster mom and I end up not sleeping at all.  Literally). You might think that it's still early but on a winter season, it's really really really cold.  Your hands will be freezing even with 2 or 3 gloves.

It was really a memorable day. After all, I've tried Skiing, at least once in my life. And it's not just any other ski resort, but a resort that was used during the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics :)

2 comments:

  1. love the view!! :) looks exciting, enjoying and tiring but would love to experience this someday ;) spectacular shots by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lamyerda, thanks for dropping by!
      Yup! Sobrang ganda! Really exciting but challenging! A must try though! Don't miss it if there's chance!

      Delete

LINKWITHIN

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...