Tuesday, June 5, 2012

HeadStart 2012: Kinga Shinnen!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
It was January 1, 2012.

I woke up with renewed self for the coming year but I still could not understand my feelings. It was New Year. It was already 2012. But I'm not with my biological family. I'm with my foster family. I was not in my dormitory. I was not in South Korea, where I study for a year. I was not either in the Philippines. I was in a different place. I was in a house. I was in Inasatomachi. I was in Nagano City. I was in the Land of the Rising Sun when the sun first rose on 2012 or Hatsuhinode (the first sunrise of the year).. Yes, I was in Japan! I was wondering whether it was a dream or reality? Then.. It was definitely a reality!

Yes, it's really Japan
Japanese Custom: New Year's Day Postcards
I went down from "my room" (I call it my room because it's a spare room I used during my visit so I own it. hahaha) to the living room to greet everyone 'A Happy New Year!' And in return, they gave me New Year post card. My foster mom prepared it around 3am, when we arrived from our long-tiring transit (I will post about this soon).

My New Year Gift
My Happy New Year 2012 Postcard
They received hundreds of postcards and even the children received their own postcards from their classmates, friends, relatives or their own acquaintances. The Japanese have a very special custom of sending New Year's Day postcards to their friends and relatives (Nengajo / 年賀状).
Some of my foster family's New Year postcards

Unlike any other New Year's Day, we had a very special brunch (Yes, because we woke up almost 12nn already). I actually forgot the name. So I will just show some pictures of the food. hahaha.
Meal Box 1
Meal Box 2
Meal Box 3
In the afternoon, we visited a Catholic Church. Unlike in the Philippines where there are a lot of Masses celebrated on special days like New Year, there were only two Masses for the New Year (December 31 evening: I was on transit & January 1 morning: I was dead tired sleeping). Nevertheless, I was able to pray for sometime in the beautiful Catholic Church of Nagano. By the way, they have a lot of filipino parishioners, from the photos I saw.
Nagano Catholic Church
Zenkoji Temple: The 1st Buddhist Statue brought in Japan:
After my simple request but very important request, we head to Zenkoji Temple, one of the biggest and most popular temple in Japan established in 1897, even before Buddhism in Japan was split into different groups. This temple is said to home the 1st Buddhist Status that was brought in Japan called hibutsu (secret Buddha).
Zenkoji Main Temple
At the exit of the Main Temple
This is the main entrance area of the temple. Because we actually passed by the side entrance since there were so many people coming to the temple and it's difficult to get our way to the main entrance.
Zenkoji Temple Main Entrance
Temple Guards
And since it was New Year, hundreds of people flocked in the temple and pay a visit to Buddha. Look at the people!
Hundreds of people visiting the temple
I also get the chance to have a 'lucky pick' on what's my fate for this year. And guess what? It says that it would be fruitful. Hooray! So I tied it in the temple for it to be realized. Haha!
My Lucky Pick
Other New Year wishes
We also walked around the temple grounds. We reached to the street foods and different souvenir shops around the temple.
Zenkoji Temple Grounds
Shops: Look for Mai. haha!
Sushi Restaurant:
It was New Year so we had another special meal: Sushi Restaurant. There were so many tables in the restaurants with the usual Sushi conveyor and just get your picks.
The entire Sushi Restaurant
For individual customers
But, there is something unique! There is a specialized mini-shinkansen-trains that would deliver special Sushis you ordered.
Look for the mini-shinkansen-train.
Sushi Menu
Sushi Conveyor
Before we attacked the sushis, we had some photos first and thinking which sushi to eat first. There are so many delicious sushis to choose from :O
Before Eating
What should I eat?
In the end, we finished more than 50plates of sushis, normal and special sushis combined.
Sushi Plates
Haruto is full. Haha!

Get Some Rest:
Then we head back home to spend time with my foster family. I wrote my name in hiragana - あるびん. Here it is:
I wrote this!
Then we rested because we will be going to the happiest place on earth the following day. It's Where Dreams Come True - Tokyo Disneyland.

9 comments:

  1. Kuya Arv.
    I just started reading your blog hahaha XD
    Your posts make me want to go and visit Japan and Korea more than ever :<
    Kainggiiiit! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane,
    Thanks for dropping by. hahaha!
    Come, visit Japan and Korea.
    Will post more soon :)
    Keep dropping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. its a travelogue to read :) you hit the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Norby R. SalongaHi Norby! Thanks for the compliment and thanks as well dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arvin! :) Thank you for dropping by my blog. :D I hope you'll do more posts about your travels. They're something worth reading. :D Makes me want to go to Japan and Korea! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! Will probably post more of my travels here. Though, I'm really backlogged. I don't know if I can post the others :/ Visit Japan and Korea! Most especially Korea, they have Yeosu World Expo until Aug 12, 2012.

      Delete
  7. hi,anong month kaya ang pinaka madalas mag snow sa seoul?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melvin, thanks for dropping! In Seoul pinakamadalas magsnow end of December to mid January. this year, 2nd week of January ung pinakamalakas na snow. pero sobrang lamig until early April. Pero kung pupunta ka sa Kangwon-do area, ave. of 2hrs away, kung saan 2018 Winter Olympics iheld or shooting ng Winter Sonata, i think longer ang snowy days :)

      Delete

LINKWITHIN

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...