Friday, July 6, 2012

Gyeongju: Museum without Walls

"Beautiful Gyeongju"
May 28, 2012.


I had a chance to visit Gyeongju for a day and went around the tourist spots in the city. It is one of the most visited cities of Korea outside Seoul because it is known as the "Museum without Walls" where much of Korea's history can be found.  It is pretty much the same as Kyoto of Japan.


I arrived in Singyeongju station around 10am via KTX ride from Daejeon. Thanks to my KR Pass, an unlimited KTX ride for a certain number of days depending on your choice. By the way, it's only available for foreigners. It's a very good deal when you travel around different cities of Korea.
KTX at Singyeongju Station
 When I entered the station, I was welcomed by these KTX mascots.
KTX Mascots
Honestly, I was not at all ready with this trip. So when I arrived in Gyeongju, I immediately seek help from the tourist information office in the station.  The lady gladly help me how to get around to the city and the places to visit given my limited time in the place.  Thanks to her! I was able to work my way in the city. Travel Tip: When traveling, don't be shy to ask questions to the tourist information, it's their duty to help tourists. And that's their work, to give suggestions and advices in the place.  I usually don't ask before but learned to ask after getting some advices from people. Trust me, it will make your life easier! The tourist staffs know more than you.


BULGUKSA TEMPLE.
The first thing I did was to visit the Bulguksa Temple (불국사) and Seokguram Grotto (석굴암).  It was a 50minute bus ride the station but it was very convenient because no transfer needed. It will go directly to the place.  However, the 50minute ride extended to almost 1hr 30minutes because it was Buddha's birthday already. It was holiday in Korea and Koreans visited the temples.  I'm very lucky to be in this place on a very big day! Buddha's Birthday!


There are so many lanterns to celebrate Buddha's birthday! They prepared these lanterns for more than a month (I visited a smaller temple a month earlier and they started preparing the lanterns already).  How much more this big temple and the main attraction in Gyeongju? :)
Bulguksa Entrance
Bulguksa's Main Temple
Statue
Bulguksa's Mini Temple
SEOKGURAM GROTTO.
Afterwards, I took the bus going up to the Seokguram Grotto.  Actually, it was just a little less than 2kilometers but it was an upward slope. I waited for more than 30minutes for the bus as well mainly because of the big celebration and it was very crowded. But going down, instead of waiting for the bus, I decided to walk down. Anyway, it's downward already so it's not that tiring! It took me 25minutes going down back to Bulguksa Temple. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take photos inside the grotto. And since I'm very obedient, I didn't take any hiding shots. HAHA! Travel Tip: If you go to Bulguksa Temple, might as well hit the Seokguram Grotto. For most of the travel guides, these 2 sightseeing places usually go together.  The bus ride is good when it a normal day. Better take the bus because once you go down the bus, you still need to walk further to reach the grotto.
Seokguram Grounds
WALKING TOUR.
I already walked a lot in Bulguksa and Seokguram but I continued walking when I head back to the city area. The city is pretty like the other Korean cities though the places have very rich historical background.  You can even see tombs in the middle of the city and it is said to be the tomb of the former kings or leaders of the country.


Some of the walking areas.  These places are just stones throw from each other.


Cheomseongdae Observatory is the oldest observatory in the Far East and in Korea build in 634AD.
Cheomseongdae Observatory
These "hill like" structure are called Oreung or 5 tombs. But it is not just any other tombs because it rests the former Kings and Queen of Korea.  These five royal tombs has the buried bodies of King Park Hyeokgeose and his wife, Queen Alyeong; the second Silla king, Namhae; the third Silla king, Yuril and the fifth Silla king, Pasa.  I actually don't know them as well. Just research it from: Gyeongju Tour guide.
Oreung (5 Tombs)
Walking Tour
BULGUKSA AT NIGHT.
I also went back to Bulguksa at night. My American couchsurfer host plans to visit the temple at night because one of his Korean co-teachers told him that the temple is very nice at night with well lighted lanterns.  I went to the temple with my host and his 2 other friends.  The temple usually closes at 6:00pm but then again, it was Buddha's birthday so the temple was open until late night and they had some Buddhist services available.  And also, the lanterns were all lighted! It was so nice!
Lighted Lanterns
Lighted Lanterns
It's all white
During the services, people in the temple were given lanterns. We plan to bring one each back home but when we were about to exit, the temple guards blocked us and confiscated our lanterns.  So we didn't have any souvenir from this place. We were even very proud to have those cool lanterns. LOL!

That's it with my experience in Gyeongju! It was a very short but memorable visit in Korea's Museum without Walls.

PS: Finally! I was able to write  again! After weeks of traveling, and therefore more pending stories to tell. But it's good to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LINKWITHIN

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...